WILDLIFE - Youth Winner Maire Misenheimer
WILDLIFE - Adult Winner - Jim Thompson
People’s Choice Award - Jill Smith – Fox on the Ice
Committee Choice – Waterfowl - Winner - Jim Thompson
For Immediate Release
High Plains Snow Goose Festival Second
Lamar, Colorado (March 16, 2017) The 2017 High Plains Snow Goose Festival, in partnership with the Lamar Chamber of Commerce, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Southeast Colorado Arts Council and Boeken Trust, sponsored the 2nd annual High Plains Snow Goose Photography Contest that featured entries from many talented photographers from Southeast Colorado.
This contest is open to the general public for both amateur and professional photographers. Adult and Youth participants entered images in the following categories: Wildlife, Landscape, Birds, Historical and Waterfowl (Committee’s Choice).
The Committee’s Choice category was new for the 2017 festival. The Committee’s Choice topic will change each year. The planning committee felt that having a new topic would add a continuing challenge for contest participants and they really wanted to see the adult verses youth perspective in the entries for this category.
Prizes were awarded to one photo in each category (Bird, Wildlife, Landscape, Historical and Waterfowl, the Committee’s Choice category in each age group (Adult and Youth). The prize for each category for Adult was $100.00 in Lamar Chamber of Commerce LUV Bucks and $50 LUV Bucks for each the four repeating categories. The Committee’s Choice category had a special prize, consisting of Go Pro Camera for the Adult group and a set of binoculars for the Youth. Unfortunately, there were no youth entries for the Committee Choice Waterfowl category this year so the binoculars will be held over for next year’s contest.
Second Annual High Plains Snow Goose
Committee Choice – Waterfowl
People’s Choice Award
Congratulations to all the Winners and Honorable Mention recipients!
2017 High Plains Snow Goose Photo Contest
February 16 - 19, 2017
2017 Photo Contest Details
We are excited to announce that we will be hosting the Second Annual Snow Goose Festival Photo Contest. This year, the categories will be wildlife, landscape, birds, historical, and a new category for committee’s choice in two age groups. The new category will change each year with a focus on a specific topic which will be announced by the planning committee with the release of registration forms for the year.
Pick up your camera or go through your collection of favorite pictures from the past year and join the fun. All entries will be displayed and winners announced at the Saturday night banquet at the Elks Lodge in Lamar, CO.
Please review the rules carefully and plan to enter your best photos! All money collected in entry fees will be donated to the Nature and Raptor Center of Pueblo to support raptor center operations.
• Landscape, Birds, Native Wildlife, Historical and Waterfowl (Committee’s Choice)
• Must be taken in Southeast Colorado
• $5.00 per photo entered. Youth (age 18 and under) entries are free.
• Cash, check or credit card.
• Make checks payable to: High Plains Snow Goose Festival
• Entries will be accepted from December 1, 2016 to February 10, 2017. Entries may be dropped off during business hours at the Lamar Chamber of Commerce or the Colorado Welcome Center in Lamar. Both locations are 119 East Beech Street, Lamar, CO. The Lamar Wildlife Office at 2500 S Main St, Lamar, CO. John Martin Reservoir State Park at 30703 County Road 24, Hasty, CO. No entries submitted after February 10th can be accepted. The categories will be youth and adult for landscape, native wildlife, bird, historical and waterfowl photos.
• The contest is open to the general public: to both amateur and professional photographers.
• All photos must have been taken in Southeast Colorado and the location must be indicated in the entry form. Photos must have been taken within the past year.
• We encourage entries from young photographers. If you are a minor (under the age of 18) you must obtain permission from your parent or legal guardian. The parent or guardian must sign the entry/permission form.
• All photos must be original and taken by the submitting entrant.
• Any entry deemed inappropriate by the High Plains Snow Goose Festival staff will be disqualified.
• Computer created entries and photos that have been enhanced and/or altered (other than cropping) will be disqualified.
• Releases that cannot be verified for authenticity (including missing, incomplete or incorrect contact information on the form) may result in the disqualification of the entry.
• Photos can be entered in one of five categories: Landscape, Native Wildlife, Birds, Historical and Waterfowl (Committee’s Choice). The entrant must indicate which category they want to be judged. Photos cannot be judged in more than one category. Each category is broken into two age groups, youth (age 18 and under) and adult.
• All photos will be entered into a People’s Choice category, where visitors to the Snow Goose Festival will vote for their favorite photo. No additional entry fee is required for this category. A special prize for the People’s Choice category will be awarded at the High Plains Snow Goose Festival banquet on February 18th.
• Entries must be submitted both in print and digital format.
• Only the printed photos will be judged.
• Digital versions of the print will be on display at different locations throughout the festival.
• Backs of photos should be dated and captioned with the entrant’s name, contact information and location of the photo. There should be no markings or information on the front.
• All entrants must complete a signed official entry form. Please submit one entry application per photo. Only entry forms with complete, accurate and legible information can be considered.
• Damaged photographs will not be accepted. High Plains Snow Goose Festival sponsors, Lamar Chamber of Commerce and the Colorado Parks and Wildlife staff are not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, illegible, incomplete, postage due, stolen, returned, separated, damaged or undelivered entries by mail. Proof of mailing is not proof of delivery. We suggest you retain original photographs and submit only copies.
• Photos can be picked up with identification between 9 am and 4 pm at the Lamar Chamber of Commerce. Photos not picked up within 30 days become the property of the High Plains Snow Goose Festival committee.
Use of photos
All photo entries (digital and print) become the property of the High Plains Snow Goose Festival committee. Contestants grant High Plains Snow Goose Festival committee unlimited usage and unrestricted rights of any photograph submitted for the contest regardless of whether or not it is a winning entry. The committee reserves the right to use the photos in printed or on-line materials and for educational informational and promotional purposes without paying compensation to the photographers or the subjects. Photos used will credit the photographer unless otherwise requested by the entrant.
The High Plains Snow Goose Festival will select three judges (not involved in facilitating the event) to judge all entries. It is a blind judging process and judges will not know who the photographers are. You need not be present to win. Winners will be announced on February 18 at the banquet at the Elks Lodge in Lamar, CO. As many entries as physically possible will be displayed at the High Plains Snow Goose banquet. Winners will be displayed at the Rodeway Inn Cow Palace Hotel during the Snow Goose Festival event on Friday, February 17th and Saturday, February 18th. Winning entries will be contacted using the information provided on entry form.
If for any reason the contest is not capable of being conducted as planned, including any causes beyond the control of the administrators of the contest, The High Plains Snow Goose Festival committee reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, suspend, or terminate the contest without notice to the entrants and retain all photo entries.
One photo in each category and in each age group will be chosen as the winner. A People's Choice winner will also be awarded for both adult and youth. Prizes are based on generous donations from the community, but all category winners will receive an award. There will also be honorable mention photos in each category.
Don't miss the Friday night registration & social on February 17th to see the entries and vote for your favorite. The event will be at the Rodeway Inn, Cow Palace Hotel in Lamar, CO. It is sure to be a memorable night.